About Venar Ayar
Master of Laws in Taxation
Venar Ayar is the founder of Ayar Law, which specializes in audit defense, appeals, tax debt relief, unfiled tax returns, foreign bank accounts, criminal tax defense, and unpaid payroll taxes. He has extensive experience representing individuals and businesses before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), state tax authorities, state and Federal courts – even the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Ayar takes a client-focused approach to the practice of tax law, which one can sense the moment they contact his firm’s offices. From individuals to small business owners to large and international business concerns with complex tax issues, the tax attorneys at Ayar Law take the time to fully understand each client’s situation so that they can guide and support them every step of the way toward resolution. Mr. Ayar and his firm have saved their clients millions of dollars by abating penalties and settling debts and prevented hundreds of threatened levies and liens against income, savings, and properties.
Criminal Tax Expertise
In criminal tax matters, Mr. Ayar has successfully fought for reduced criminal charges against clients accused of tax evasion and has helped clients avoid criminal prosecution altogether. Mr. Ayar enjoys an excellent reputation with the United States Attorney’s Office, the US Department of Justice, and the District Attorney’s Office in many Michigan jurisdictions. His passion for tirelessly representing clients to protect their rights is deeply ingrained in his character.
Industry Leader in Tax Defense
A recognized subject matter expert in all areas related to the resolution of state and Federal tax problems, Mr. Ayar is a sought-after panelist and popular presenter on tax law and tax conflict resolution topics for leading industry organizations such as the Michigan Association of CPAs (MICPA), University of Michigan Tax Seminars, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), Advanced Planning Educational Group (APEG) and the MyCPE platform for CPA continuing education.
Ratings and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell: Highest possible rating
- DBusiness, Detroit’s Premier Business Journal: A Top Lawyer in the Field of Tax Law.
- Super Lawyers: Rising Star designation
- Avvo.com: Superb Attorney rating, 10 out of 10
- Took on the IRS for a client and had them eliminate almost $600,000 in penalties.
- Negotiated with the IRS to reduce the client’s tax debt from over $22,000 to $100.
- Persuaded the IRS to abate all penalties and interest that were crippling client’s business.
- Convinced the State of Michigan to release tax lien, so that client could sell their business.
- Negotiated with the IRS to reduce retired client’s tax debt from over $28,000 to $10.
- Successfully argued small business client’s federal tax debt down from over $45,000 to less than $6,000.
- Convinced the IRS to reduce the client’s tax debt from over $105,000 to $100.
- Negotiated with the IRS to reduce the client’s tax debt from over $43,000 to $100.
- Persuaded the IRS to reduce client’s tax debt from over $323,000 to less than $4,000.
- Worked with the IRS to restructure $58,000 tax in taxes and penalties to pay over time without significantly impacting the client’s lifestyle.
Presentations and Panels:
- “Options For People That Can’t Pay Their Taxes,” at University Of Michigan Tax Seminar, November 2020-January 2021, Virtual.
- “Overview Of Tax Issues Related To Marijuana,” at 6th Annual ICLE Marijuana Law Conference, September 23-25, 2021, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.
- “The IRS Offer In Compromise Program,” at MYCPE, June 21, 2021, Virtual.
- “Dealing With Revenue Officers & Unpaid Payroll Taxes,” at MICPA Accounting For The Tax Practitioner Conference, June 24, 2021, Virtual.
- “Foreign Asset Reporting Rules,” at MyCPE, June 29, 2021, Virtual.
- “IRS Tax Liens & How To Work Around Them,” at MyCPE, July 7, 2021, Virtual.
- “IRS Penalties, Abatements, & Reasonable Cause,” at MyCPE, July 13, 2021, Virtual.
- “Installment Agreements & Currently Not Collectible Status,” at MyCPE, August 12, 2021, Virtual.
- “How The IRS Analyzes Taxpayer Finances To Determine Ability To Pay,” at MyCPE, August 16, 2021, Virtual.
- “The Structure & Organization Of The IRS,” at MyCPE, August 19, 2021, Virtual.
- “IRS Audit Process & Defense,” at MyCPE, August 23, 2021, Virtual.
- “Take The Mystery Out Of The IRS,” at MICPA Michigan Tax Conference, November 4, 2021, Virtual.
- “Updates to Tax Practice & Procedure,” at University Of Michigan Tax Seminar, December 2021-January 2022
Areas of Practice:
- Tax audits
- Unfiled tax returns
- Payroll tax issues
- Foreign banking tax issues
- Criminal defense of tax-related crimes
- American Bar Association
- Chaldean American Bar Association
- Taxation Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County (Michigan) Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- MENSA International
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
Admitted to practice before the following courts:
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the State of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court